Environmental Health Internship
WE ACT for Environmental Justice is seeking an Environmental Health intern who can assist with our mission of building healthy communities by ensuring that people of color and/or low income participate meaningfully in the creation of sound and fair environmental health and protection policies and practices. Our internship program creates opportunities for the next generation of environmental public health leaders while giving future leaders a high level of responsibility, close supervision, mentorship, and ample skill-building opportunities.
The intern will provide administrative, research and programmatic support for WE ACT’s Environmental Health team on different projects relating to population health, disparities, and both indoor and outdoor environmental exposures. This experience will give individuals the opportunity to learn about the dynamic interplay between various factors-political, cultural, economic, social and ethical that affect various health outcomes in New York City and in the United States; and also see how non-profits work to translate research, communications and advocacy efforts into meaningful health policy and practice.
- Researching, writing and preparation of different materials (including proposals, reports, and presentations)
- Assist with project and conference planning management including the maintenance and upkeep of project spreadsheets and contact lists
- Assist with communications and social advocacy efforts (i.e. communications outreach, social media, blogs, flyers, and other materials)
- Help represent WE ACT as assigned at events, public forms, field hearings and other external organizational meetings and conferences
- Assist with administrative/clerical tasks including phone banking, filing, photocopying, faxing, and correspondence
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong research, writing and computer skills
- Strong oral communication skills
- Knowledge of U.S. environmental health policy is a plus
We are a small, diverse group with a big mission. We are looking for interns willing to work a minimum of 10-15 hours per week in our Harlem office. Other arrangements can be negotiated. The internship is unpaid, but interns receive a stipend to offset transportation expenses.
To apply send a resume, cover letter, short writing sample (2 pages max), and the names and phone numbers of three references. Submit to email@example.com. Please put “Internship” in the subject line of your email.
People of color, women, and LGBTI individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.