The mission of the Northeast Regional Coalition for Climate Justice is to engage environmental justice advocates and allies in the Northeast region in an effort to catalyze regional and federal political and legislative action that will result in the development of just policies and mechanisms that equitably reduce carbon emissions in all communities.
Working Exclusively at the Regional Level
- Developing and submitting comments on the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI), a 10-state compact to reduce carbon emissions through a cap-and-auction system
- Convening the environmental justice movement in the Northeast region around issues of climate justice and RGGI (RGGI states include Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont)
- Holding climate change workshops for the NYS Environmental Justice Advisory Committee to the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
- Meeting with policymakers/heads of state agencies in order to impact the implementation of RGGI
- Educating elected officials on climate justice and RGGI, including advocating for revenue generated through RGGI to be directed to low-income households to offset increased energy costs
- Monitor implementation (or lack thereof) of RGGI, and document concerns with it operation
Do you like this post?